Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why did I start my journey to get healthier?

Why did I start? I started my journey to be healthy when the dr. suggested I might have thyroid problems. This was about a year and a half ago. That's when I started researching and making small changes.

What issues did I have when I started? I really wasn't a ton over weight. I weighed 20 lbs more than I do, but I guess that is a lot on a 5'1 frame. I wasn't feeling very well though. I was having problems with my lungs, so I was taking a daily medicine for that. I had really bad allergies and was taking a daily medicine for that. I think some of my other issues were side affects of the medicine. My immune system seemed to be in the tank. My body seemed really sore and creaky all the time. My digestion after eating bread and pizza was really bad. My neck and shoulders were so tight I was getting migraines and headaches a lot. My knees, ankles, knees and wrists were all issues. I was tired A LOT, so I was drinking lots of coffee. I couldn't sleep so I was using Melatonin every night.

I was maybe eating one fruit or vegetable each day. I wasn't feeling good, so it was time to change.

How did I start? I started just adding juices or smoothies in the morning to my breakfast. It was a small change, but at least I was getting more fruit and veggies into my diet.

Then, I started doing more salads at lunch and cutting back on my caffeine. I next started with cutting out white milk, bread, and pizza. My digestion started getting back on track. I wasn't feeling sluggish and bloated after eating, I was feeling great.

I then went on to reducing the amount of processed foods that I was eating. No more boxed foods, canned soups and frozen lunches. This caused me to cook a lot more. I was spending more time in the kitchen making foods, but it was fun.

My first Challenge: In October, I did the October Unprocessed Challenge. This was great and challenging at the same time. I didn't realize all the hidden sugar in simple things like ketchup, dressings, and other foods you don't expect to find sugar. While the month was hard, I continued eating like this thru November.

Online Resources and Books: During that time I started reading The Starch Solution, How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and other books. I started adding in more plant based foods right away. I found that plant based foods are filling and satisfying. I love listening to the YouTube videos by Chef AJ. She eventually lead me to finding Protective Diet, which I am doing now. The neat thing is that this is not a diet. It's a way of life to protect yourself from disease, which is ultimately my goal.

How I feel now: I can say that I seriously feel 100% better than I did before. I didn't realize how bad I was feeling. I don't have problems with my joints, my digestion, migraines or headaches anymore. These issues just disappeared. I sleep great now without any help of Melatonin or other sleep aids. I have stopped my daily lung medicine, since I don't seem to have any issues with my lungs anymore. I also think my skin and my hair have changed. I'm am excited about continuing this journey in health.

No comments:

Post a Comment