Thursday, March 19, 2015

Oats, Oats, Oats

I've always loved oats. In fact, if I had oats as a child they were a special treat. I wasn't raised eating oatmeal in the morning. My mom doesn't like oatmeal, thus we never tried oatmeal. I was probably 12 when I first tried oatmeal at my grandma's house. I really liked it there, so I went home and told my mom. She bought us a package and made it really thick and gross. I never ate oatmeal again at home.

After leaving home, I ate oatmeal occasionally. It was usually the pre-flavored oatmeal in the little packages. It was probably only 3 years ago that I first tried steel cut oats and realized I really like those also.

It amazes me that oats are so healthy and taste so good. I read an article on www.whfoods.com talking about all the health benefits below and much more.
  • Good source of copper, biotin, vitamin B1, magnesium, dietary fiber, chromium, zinc, and protein.Lower Cholesterol Levels
  • High Fiber
  • Enhanced Immune Response to Infection
  • Stabilize Blood Sugar
  • Health promoting activity equal to or even higher than that of fruit and vegetables
Yes, it maybe a little boring, but I eat oats almost every day. If oats are on sale, I pick up 4lbs+ from the bulk food section.

Here's some ways I eat my oats:
  • Steel Cut oats (cooked on stove or Instant Pot) with frozen fruit (usually blueberries)
  • Cooked Old Fashioned oats with frozen blueberries, frozen mixed fruit or bananas (sometimes I add some vanilla)
  • Homemade Granola
  • Cooked Old Fashioned oats with baked apples (or applesauce), cinnamon and nutmeg
  • Soaked Overnight oats with chia seeds and soymilk. In the morning, I add banana slices or frozen fruit.
  • Chocolate Bird Seed P.D. Premium Recipe

Do you eat oats? How do you eat your oats?

No comments:

Post a Comment